Soundings is looking for a Project Coordinator (m/f/d) to support the curatorial team in the organization of a conference/workshop/concert event from August 21st-25th, 2022 at and around the Akademie der Künste in Berlin Hanseatenweg, Germany.
The position is open as of now, applications accepted until the position has been filled.
SOUNDINGS is a seminal five-day event bringing together around 30 invitees from around the world plus an open number of local participants. It is supported by the Akademie der Künste Berlin, Ultima Festival Oslo, inm / field notes, and matralab Montréal.
“What do sounds and music mean to those who do not recognise their tradition, culture or worldview in the globally dominant Eurocentric artistic and intellectual sound art and music practices? Who derive their listening from other origins, other contexts, other myths, and other models than those common in Western modernity? Who pursue their own attitude to sound and music outside the Euro-American cultural and scientific establishment? Over 5 days, their ways of listening, their aesthetic conditions, their knowledges, their goals and aspirations will be voiced, heard and exchanged in open conversations, open musical forms, open discourses. Decolonisation thus understood as an opportunity to think, to listen, to sound and to learn from each other without having to place oneself within the sonic histories of Europe: discussions and listening situations that evolve outside and counter to currently hegemonic cultural spheres. We invite attentive listeners and sounders from around the globe!”
- administrative and organizational coordination in the lead-up to the event
- booking travel & accommodation for invitees
- personalized follow-up with invitees on travel requirements (visa, vaccinations etc)
- as well as providing support during their stay in Berlin
- financial controlling and coordination between the four funding partners’ accounting
- communication with curatorial team and funding partners
- hands-on management of the event as it happens
- final financial accounting & report
Skills, knowledge and experience:
- excellent German and English
- experience in the organization and implementation of cultural events an/or
- intercultural and ge nder competence
- confidence, calm and diplomatic skills
- friendliness, teamwork skills.
- pro-active and strategic planning skills
- ability to think on your feet.
- current residence in Berlin
We welcome applications from members of any gender, cultural background and ethnicity.
The position will be offered as a “Werkvertrag”, a work contract with flexible hours and fixed honorarium, based on projected 100-120 hours of work. You would be employed by matralab, Concordia University, Montréal. The position is open as of now, we will accept applications until the position has been filled. A first review of applications will take place on May 21. Work might start as early as June 1 or per agreement.
Please send your completed application form along with all relevant documents (most important: recommendations from previous relevant work) as a single pdf-file by e-mail to both: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact us by e-mail.
SOUNDINGS Steering Committee: Oladele Ayorinde, Sandeep Bhagwati, Budhaditya Chattopadhyay, Murat Gürel, Sandipan Nath, Nguyen Than Thuy, Bhavisha Panchia, Glaucia Peres da Silva, Deniza Popova